RITA G. McCALLISTER DAVIS graced us with her love, care, and kindness for 96 years. She was born on June 10, 1925, in Salt Rock, W.Va., and gave her life to Christ at a young age. Preceding her in death were her parents Hallie and Oretha Bledsoe McCallister, her husband for 58 years Jesse Davis, sister Betty McCallister Spears, and a beloved granddaughter, Kristen Hope Kuhn. Surviving are two daughters, Deborah Frye (Steve), and Paula Sturgeon (Mark), with whom she made her home; granddaughters Emily Kuhn, Rachel Stone and Sarah Frye; great-granddaughters Molly Frye and Hannah Stone. Family members who loved her very much are Diane Browning, Shawna Wallace (Scott), Todd Browning, Geri Baker (Chris) and family, Jackie McClellan (Jerry) and family, Joyce Queen, Tammy Keough and family, a very special friend of many years, Linda Bledsoe, and her caregiver, Patricia Chapman. Our hospice nurses gave support and comfort for mom’s passing. To honor mom’s request, a private funeral and interment will be held. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. Her favorite verses were Psalm 23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Wallace Funeral Home, Barboursville, is assisting the family with arrangements.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
1159 Central Avenue
Barboursville, West Virginia 25504
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- KDMC doctors give glimpse into their hospital during pandemic
- Herd collapses in 42-38 loss to ECU
- Developers continue revitalization efforts in downtown Huntington
- HADCO reaches deal with medical cannabis company
- Family seeks answers three years after man went missing from Grayson Lake
- Autism pioneer Ruth Sullivan dies at 97
- Police roundup: Dispute between parents leads to vandalism after football game
- W.Va.’s world-leading virus surge pushes hospitals, first responders to breaking point
- Marshall, WVU meet in top-10 men's soccer matchup
- RUTH CHRIST SULLIVAN
- Photos: Barboursville Fall Fest Parade
- Photos: Marshall fans tailgate before East Carolina game
- Photos: Young Thundering Herd meets at Spring Hill Cemetery
- Photos: Marshall vs. WVU, men's soccer
- Photos: Poage Landing Days
- Photos: East Carolina defeats Marshall, 42-38
- Photos: High school football, Cabell Midland vs. Hurricane
- Photos: Barboursville Fall Fest pancake breakfast
- Photos: The Friends of Hospice annual mum sale
- Photos: Mary Ingles Trail Association reenactment camp