WILLIAM “JAKE” EDWARD SOWARDS, 74, of Salt Rock, W.Va., passed away Monday, January 18, 2021. He was born December 12, 1946, in Cabell County, W.Va., a son of the late William O. and Malta M. Boyd Sowards. He was a proud union boilermaker in Local 249 with CSX and a founding member of Salt Rock Volunteer Fire Department. He was preceded in death by his wife, Judy S. Blake Sowards, sisters, Bobbie Hawkins and Peggy Butcher. He is survived by his beloved dog, Bruno; daughter and son-in-law, Judy and Steve Perry of Powell, Ohio; sons, Johnny Sowards of Salt Rock, W.Va., and William Sowards II of Aliquippa, Pa.; sisters, Ruth Midkiff of Huntington, W.Va., Reba (Dave) Gothard of Cary, N.C., Carol Fuller of Kenova, W.Va., and Patricia (Gary) Hesson of Middletown, Pa.; brothers, Buckley Sowards of Palm Beach, Fla., and David (Liza) Sowards of Barboursville, W.Va.; grandchildren, Blake Sowards, Brandi Beckett, Michael Sowards, Marissa Sowards, Ashlee Sowards, Kaitlyn Sowards, Jacob Sowards, Nicholas Perry, Joshua Perry; thirteen great-grandchildren; and cherished friends, Mark Tackett, Natasha Nida and Scott Dean. Visitation will be from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday, January 22, 2021, at the Wallace Funeral Home, Barboursville, W.Va. Graveside services will be conducted at 11 a.m. Saturday, January 23, 2021, at Baylous Cemetery. The family requests that all COVID-19 guidelines are strictly followed, including required masks and social distancing. In lieu of flowers, please donate in Bill’s memory to www.cancercare.org/donate-now. Bill was an organ donor and would encourage everyone to consider giving the gift of life. Online condolences may be expressed to the family at www.timeformemory.com/wallace.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
1159 Central Avenue
Barboursville, West Virginia 25504
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- New Hatfield-McCoy trails set to open March 1
- Vehicle fire spreads to new cars at dealership
- Huntington restaurant has alcohol license suspended
- Schools unite to support beloved photographer Sanborn
- Cabell BOE votes to build Meadows Elementary in new location
- Ohio River crests at highest level since 1997
- Police: Missing child, 6, killed and put into the Ohio River
- Beloved photographer Sanborn dead from cancer
- Justice income tax plan proposes big cuts, tax hikes
- Second round of Pandemic EBT payments for eligible children to be sent in March
- Photos: Flood waters rise around Huntington
- Photos: Areas around Cabell County experience flooding
- Photos: Area flooding
- Photos: Firefighters battle vehicle fire at River City Subaru
- Photos: Area continues to deal with flooding
- Photos: Cleanup continues at Heritage Farm
- Photos: Marshall volleyball team vs. Western Kentucky
- Photos: Fairland vs. North Adams, boys basketball
- Photos: MU women's basketball vs. Rice University, Saturday
- Photos: St. Joe vs. Scott, girls basketball