CAROLYN KAY MARKEL GILES, 79, of Ironton, Ohio, passed away Monday, March 29, 2021, in Community Hospice Care Center, Ashland, Kentucky. Carolyn was born November 14, 1941, in Ironton, Ohio, a daughter to the late Don and Mary Louise Jones Markel. Carolyn was a graduate of Ironton High School. Carolyn was one of the first women to drive a semi-truck, hauling coil steel. She also trained Lipizzaner Stallions and retired as a nurse for Best Care. She was a member of St. Lawrence O’Toole Catholic Church. Left to cherish her memory are her two sons, Charles (Cheryl) Giles of Moline, Ill., and Samuel (Maple) Giles of Taylorsville, Ga.; sister, Mary Lou Day of Ironton; and two grandsons, Christopher Giles and Charles Giles, both of Dekalb, Ill. There will be a Celebration of Life service at 2 p.m. Thursday, April 1, 2021, at Tracy Brammer-Monroe Funeral Home, 518 South Sixth Street, Ironton, with Father David Huffman officiating. Friends may call Thursday from 1:30 p.m. until time of the service. The family requests in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Lawrence County Animal Shelter, 1302 Adams Lane, Ironton, OH 45638. To offer the Giles family condolences, please visit www.tracybrammerfh.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- 'Hillbilly Elegy' author J.D. Vance quits firm after tweets
- Huntington woman accused of sexually abusing, beating 4-year-old
- Jim's Steak and Spaghetti announces modified Strawberry Pie Week
- W.Va. House unanimous in rejection of governor’s plan to cut state income tax
- TINA SARENE LOWE-McCORMICK
- Camden Corner features doughnuts, fried chicken
- Family sues police after man's death labeled homicide by medical examiner
- Baylor's NCAA title 'exhilarating' for former local prep star Loveday
- Woman accused of stealing millions from Huntington nonprofit released on bond
- SHERYL PYLES
- Photos: Thundering Lanes Celebrity Bowl-A-Thon
- Photos: K9 officer training seminar
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. George Washington, girls basketball
- Photos: Huntington vs. Cabell Midland, girls basketball
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. Spring Valley, girls basketball
- Photos: Fairland vs. Chesapeake, high school baseball
- Photos: Wayne vs. St. Joe, girls basketball
- Photos: Glass-smashing event on Marshall campus
- Photos: Huntington vs. George Washington, boys basketball
- Photos: Barboursville Library launches Giving Tree campaign