DENISE MAYNARD SMITH, 58, of Proctorville, Ohio, formerly of Delbarton, W.Va., passed away January 19, 2023 at her residence. She was born September 30, 1964 in Williamson, W.Va., the daughter of the late Don and Inez Maynard. In addition to her parents she was preceded in death by her sister, Donna Kay Maynard. Denise was a licensed Psychologist. She graduated from Burch High School in 1982 where she was a band member, cheerleader and a majorette. She was at the top of her class in all she did. Her kids were her life. She loved them unconditionally. Those left behind to cherish her memory include her daughter; Alexis Clark; her husband, Nicholas; their dog, Bismarck; sons, Brandon Smith and Blake Smith and his wife Kara. Denise also leaves behind her beloved dog, Winston. Funeral services for Denise will be held Monday, January 23, 2023 at the Chafin Funeral Chapel at 1 p.m. with Rev. Mitchell Bias officiating. Burial will follow in the Mountain View Memory Gardens at Maher, W.Va. Visitation will be from 11 a.m. until the start of the funeral services at 1 p.m. Chafin Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 4 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by 1 p.m. Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- Marshall student found dead on campus; foul play, substance use not suspected
- Marshall IDs student found dead in residence hall Sunday
- Nucor working through permit process, actively hiring
- George Carl Sr. Lambros
- Anna Marie Archer
- Cannabis company acquires 100,000 square feet facility from HADCO
- WSAZ Invitational coming down to crunch time
- Lost Huntington: C-K High School
- State Police executes warrant on Hot Cup in downtown Logan
- WV Senate passes bill to change vehicle inspections to every two years
- Photos: WSAZ Invitational Wrestling Tournament, Saturday
- Photos: WSAZ Invitational Wrestling Tournament, Friday
- Photos: Unity walk at Ritter Park
- Photos: MSAC swim meet at the Cam Henderson Center
- Photos: Firefighter vehicle extrication training
- Photos: Boys basketball, Chesapeake vs. Ironton
- Photos: Spring Valley vs. Cabell Midland, girls basketball
- Photos: Marshall men's basketball team takes on Georgia State
- Photos: Marshall Day at the Legislature
- Photos: Marshall conducts Black History Month kick-off