KATHLEEN (KATIE) WARGO SOLE passed away peacefully on April 29, 2021, at the Cedar Village Retirement Home in Mason, Ohio. She was born in Weirton, W.Va., on August 5, 1935, to Charles and Kathleen Wargo. She was preceded in death by her parents and husband, Charles Sole, who passed in 1974; sisters, Myra and Charlotte; and brothers, Charles and Harry. Her son, Robert Sole; daughters, Linda Myers and Diana Sole; brother, Nick Wargo; and sister, Eileen Huffman, survive her, along with grandchildren, Nathan Myers, Matt Myers, Ben Myers, Rachel Dunaway, Chris Shreve, Garrett Shreve and Hannah Shreve, and great-grandchildren, Cooper Myers and Hattie Myers and Caroline and Mason Myers. Katie went to a one-room schoolhouse located on Wylie Ridge in Weirton, W.Va., as a young child, and then high school, followed by a two-year nursing school in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. After graduation she became a registered nurse and worked till she was 79 at various hospitals, including Weirton General Hospital, Cabell Huntington Hospital, St. Francis Hospital and the Mildred Mitchell-Bateman State Hospital in Huntington. In between all of that, she obtained a Bachelor of Nursing degree at Bellarmine College in Kentucky. Over her career Katie treated thousands of patients and always did her best with their care. Katie had many hobbies, including baking delicious cakes and candies, canning jams and jellies and crocheting and knitting. She cooked many meals for her children and grandchildren over the years, and handmade knitted blankets to keep them warm on cold winter nights. She had quite a green thumb and could make any plant thrive and grow. In the summer she had ripe tomatoes and cucumbers available from her own garden to make fresh salads. Animals were always drawn to her, and many a hungry stray neighborhood cat would show up at her door to be fed and kept warm. Some even stayed to become cherished pets. She even obtained a pilot’s license at the age of 53, and took her son, Robert, for a plane ride once. Katie will be greatly missed by many, but now deserves her rest and to see her husband, Charles, again, who passed away so long ago. Visitation will be Monday, May 3, 2021, from 3 p.m. until the time of funeral service at 4 p.m. at Mueller Funeral Home, 6791 Tylersville Road, Mason, OH 45040.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
- 'Pillbillies,' 'Oxycotinville': Emails from drug exec reveal mockery of Appalachians
- Marshall fans cheer Herd to victory
- Herd men's soccer gets set for national semifinal vs. UNC
- Suspect in 2018 Barboursville manhunt, shooting found guilty
- Nine Cabell pharmacies controlled half of opioid market, expert says
- Milton business adds mural by West Virginia artist to building
- Cabell group to discuss potential sale of Robert Newlon Airport
- Police say WVU student died from fall last week
- Former Herd tackle Sciullo now protects children
- Huntington man killed in Lawrence County crash
- Photos: "Hay Fever" premiere at Pullman Square
- Photos: Spring Valley vs. Cabell Midland, softball
- Photos: Marshall soccer watch party at Hall of Fame Cafe
- Photos: MU Physician Assistant Program White Coat Ceremony
- Photos: HPD swears in nine probationary officers
- Photos: High school baseball, Capital vs. Huntington
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. Huntington, softball
- Photos: Day of Hope
- Photos: Readers share their prom 2021 photos
- Photos: George Washington wins Class AAAA state championship