ROBERT GEORGE SMITH JR., “ROB,” age 75, passed away Monday, November 16, 2020, at Ascension St. Vincent Hospital in Evansville, Ind. He was the son of the late Robert G. Smith, M.D., and Mary Ellen Trent Smith. Rob was born in Huntington, W.Va., in 1945. Both he and his wife grew up in Proctorville, Ohio. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Charlotte Boggs Smith, son, Ryan Smith (Elizabeth), daughters, Elizabeth Williamson (Robert) and Katherine Gilbert; brothers, Mark Smith (Chris), Peter Smith (Sue Bird) and George Smith; sisters, Teresa Nichols (Michael) and Jane Hainsworth (Tyrus); three half-brothers, Luke Smith, M.D. (Katie), Adam Smith and Jacob Smith. Robert has nine grandchildren, Tyler, Meredith and Andrew Smith, Benjamin and Samuel Joseph Williamson, Allison, Theodore and Rebecca Gilbert; an abundance of nieces, nephews, great-nieces and -nephews. He was preceded in death by his son, Robert Alan Tate Smith, and sister, Annette Smith. After graduating from Marshall University, he received his commission in the US Navy and served on active duty. He served in the US Navy Reserves for several years and was a Commander when he left the service. He worked in sales, engineering, coal mining as an owner/operator, pump station design, and his favorite job after retirement was driving a semi-truck across the USA and parts of Canada. Funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. on Friday, November 20, 2020, at Hall Funeral Home and Crematory in Proctorville, Ohio, with visitation being from 1 to 2 p.m. Burial will follow in Rome Cemetery, Proctorville, Ohio. In lieu of flowers, please consider a contribution to Shriners Hospital. Condolences may be expressed to the family at www.ehallfuneralhome.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- Man who lost leg after being pinned to tree sues drunk driver, lodge
- Cabell Midland's Caudill to trade hoorays for oorahs
- Drive-thru Christmas event at Huntington YMCA lights up the night
- TOMMY EUGENE CLAGG
- BRIAN KEITH ROSS
- Lawrence County grand jury returns 20 indictments
- Cabell County woman among new COVID-19 deaths in West Virginia
- Man admits to robbery, attempted murder of Huntington restaurant owner
- Cabell County man among new COVID-19 deaths in West Virginia
- Ironton man sentenced to prison
- Photos: Black Friday at The Huntington Mall
- Photos: Marshall basketball wins season opener over Arkansas State
- Photos: First snow of the season hits Huntington
- Photos: Small Business Saturday
- Photos: Huntington Cabell Wayne Animal Shelter’s Thankful Furry Feast event
- Photos: Girls High School Basketball, Fairland vs. Coal Grove
- Photos: Winter Wonderland of Lights
- Photos: Cabell County Commission meeting
- Photos: Festival of Trees and Trains in Ashland
- Photos: Turkey Dinner Giveaway at New Life Church