CLETA MAE PENNINGTON, 90, of Huntington, West Virginia, went home to be with the Lord on April 22, 2020. Cleta was born August 30, 1929, in Huntington, daughter of the late William and Georgia Hager Howell. She was a member of Grace Gospel Church where she faithfully served for many years in the children’s ministry and nursery. She was a devoted wife, mother and grandmother, as her love for her husband and family was her focus and priority. She prayed daily on their behalf. Cleta leaves behind many caring relatives, wonderful friends and neighbors, and will be greatly missed by all who knew and loved her. In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her treasured sister, Mary Camp, and brothers, William “Bill” Howell and John Thomas “Tommy” Howell. Left to cherish her memory are her loving husband, Ralph Edward Pennington, daughter and son-in-law, Linda and Ty Tomlinson of Columbus, Ohio, and daughter, Debra Leo of Newark, Del.; six grandchildren, Megan Wellman (Todd) of Barboursville, W.Va., Tracy Smith (Rocky), Steve Tomlinson and Neal Tomlinson, all of Columbus, Ohio, Ryan White and Devin White of Newark, Del.; six great-grandchildren, Steven Tomlinson, Zachary Smith, Gage Smith, Derek Brooks, Alexa “Lexi” Wellman and Andrew Tomlinson. All were her pride and joy. She is also survived by a sister, Carolyn Sue Yaklin of Corpus Christi, Texas, and brothers, Charles “Chiz” Howell of Sedona, Ariz., and David Howell (Hope) of Huntington, W.Va., along with many nieces and nephews. A child of God and Jesus Christ, heaven is now her home. Due to the current situation, there will be private family visitation on Monday, April 27, at Reger Funeral Home, followed by a graveside service at 2 p.m. at Spring Valley Memorial Gardens. The Reverend Greg Tomlinson will be officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Alzheimer’s Association (alz.org). Online condolences can be made at www.regerfh.com.
Essential reporting in volatile times.
Not a Subscriber yet? Click here to take advantage of All access digital limited time offer $13.95 per month EZ Pay.
Interested in Donating? Click #ISupportLocal for more information on supporting local journalism.
Learn more about HD Media
Learn more about HD Media
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- Brea McClung: Don't make school children lab rats in a COVID-19 experiment
- Outbreak reported in Cabell County church
- Former Marshall, NFL star Chad Pennington enjoying high school coaching
- Head on collision kills 2, injures 2 on Tolsia Highway
- Local family hit hard by coronavirus after funeral
- Man charged with malicious wounding
- Alleged rape victim testifies about assault, relationship with defendant in Huntington trial
- Former Herd DT Whyce passes away
- West Virginia senator says he won’t part with General Lee car or cover its Confederate flag
- Winfield player tests positive for COVID-19
- Photos: MU Department of Communication Disorders conducts drive-thru celebration
- Photos: 2020 Festival of Glass at Blenko Glass
- Photos: Marshall football practice, Aug. 11
- Photos: Fairland vs. River Valley, volleyball
- Photos: Chesapeake Golf Range
- Photos: Mountwest conducts drive through enrollment event
- Photos: Volunteers renovate playground at Celebration Church
- Photos: School supply giveaway at New Hope United Methodist Church
- Photos: Marshall football practice, Aug. 6
- Photos: Marshall football practice, Aug. 3