DUDLEY EUGENE WEARS, 75, of Apple Grove, W.Va., passed away unexpectedly Monday, November 16, 2020, in St. Mary’s Medical Center in Huntington, W.Va. He was born April 4, 1945, in Pliny, W.Va., a son of the late Emanuel F. Wears and Betty Jane Fadeley Wears. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by an infant sister, Janie Wears, and in-laws, Clyde and Bonnie Bowen. Dudley attended Barton Chapel Church in Apple Grove. He was a graduate of Winfield High School, Class of 1963, lifetime member of the Southern West Virginia Beagle Club and retired with 36 1/2 years of service from ACF Industrials. He is survived by his wife of 55 years, Norma Kay Bowen Wears of Apple Grove; daughters and sons-in-law, Kathy and Darrel Bruner of Apple Grove and Kim and James “Tiger” Wilson of Apple Grove; son, Shawn Wears of Apple Grove; five grandchildren, Katie (Jonathan) Burns of Barboursville, W.Va., Marlee (Cody McDaniel) Bruner of Apple Grove, Shayla (Shane) Hager of Point Pleasant, W.Va., Evan Wilson of Apple Grove and Adam Hunter Wilson of Morgantown, W.Va.; two great-grandchildren, Shanley Kate Hager and Sandra Jo Hager; and two great-grandchildren on the way, Lyla Kate Burns and Sawyer Grace Hager. He is also survived by sisters, Beverly (Larry) Wilson of Belpre, Ohio, and Vallery (Jim) Withrow of Leon, W.Va.; brothers, Bradley (Patricia) Wears of Apple Grove and David (Sherry) Wears of Fraziers Bottom, W.Va.; and one aunt, Ginny Hansley of Lancaster, Ohio. Funeral service will be 1 p.m. Friday, November 20, 2020, at Barton Chapel Church in Apple Grove with Pastor Ronald Long officiating. Burial will follow in Beale Chapel Cemetery in Apple Grove. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Wilcoxen Funeral Home in Point Pleasant. Serving as pallbearers will be Evan Wilson, Adam Hunter Wilson, Jonathan Burns, Cody McDaniel, Shane Hager and Mike Brown. Social distancing will be observed and face masks are required. Condolences may be expressed to the family and memories may be shared by visiting www.wilcoxenfuneralhome.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- Ironton QB hasn't let hearing loss affect his play
- W.Va. high court upholds life sentence for Huntington man acquitted of murder
- Wayne County weighing four-day in-person school week
- Details released, bond set in Huntington home invasion
- Herd football likely sitting out again this week
- Controversy erupts over Cabell County Commission resolution to dissolve airport authority
- Pennsylvania first requires masks during play, then backtracks
- Map-induced forfeits move Cabell Midland, Bridgeport into Class AAA semifinals
- Meth dealer, user gets nearly five years in federal prison
- Downtown Huntington revitalization plan underway
- Photos: Tie Some Love on Huntington
- Photos: Cabell County Commission meeting
- Photos: Ironton vs. Kirtland, state football championship
- Photos: A.D. Lewis Center Thanksgiving dinner giveaway
- Photos: Turkey Dinner Giveaway at New Life Church
- Photos: Holiday tree decorating at HMA
- Photos: Festival of Trees and Trains in Ashland
- Photos: Operation Christmas Child collection event
- Photos: Santa Claus at the Huntington Mall
- Photos: Election Day