JAMES “MIKE” O’BRIEN, 79, of Milton, W.Va., passed away Tuesday, November 17, 2020. Mike was the son of the late Joseph Patrick and Lizzy O’Brien. He is survived by one daughter, Angela (Andy) Footo; granddaughter, Kristen, whom he adored; one sister, Margaret Olmstead. In addition to his parents, he was also preceded in death by one sister, Bonnie Chapman, and one brother, Patrick O’Brien. Mike was an amazing gardener and could grow anything. He always planted enough garden to supply the neighbors. It was one of his favorite hobbies. He also loved horses, living on the farm with goats, chickens, dogs and his cat. Mike enjoyed retirement to the fullest. He traveled often to the Amish Country with his sister. Mike was a man of deep faith and loved gospel music. He loved his church family at Cooper Independent Church and was the piano player for their choir for several years. The family would like to thank the staff of Paramount Senior Living and the wonderful nurses at St. Mary’s IMCU and Hospice of Huntington. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to be made to the Emogene Dolin Jones Hospice House, Huntington, W.Va., or Cooper Independent Church, Cooper Ridge, Milton, W.Va. The family is taking this pandemic seriously, and for this reason Mike’s services will be private and may be viewed live on Saturday, November 21, at 1 p.m. at https://www.hensonandkitchen.com/live-stream. Henson and Kitchen Mortuary, 6357 East Pea Ridge Road, Huntington, is caring for the family. Online condolences and memories may be shared with the family by visiting www.hensonandkitchen.com.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- W.Va. high court upholds life sentence for Huntington man acquitted of murder
- Controversy erupts over Cabell County Commission resolution to dissolve airport authority
- Details released, bond set in Huntington home invasion
- Herd football likely sitting out again this week
- Wayne County weighing four-day in-person school week
- Meth dealer, user gets nearly five years in federal prison
- Downtown Huntington revitalization plan underway
- WVSSAC's Dolan confirms Cabell Midland football has positive COVID-19 case
- Pennsylvania first requires masks during play, then backtracks
- Map-induced forfeits move Cabell Midland, Bridgeport into Class AAA semifinals
- Photos: Cabell County Commission meeting
- Photos: Tie Some Love on Huntington
- Photos: Ironton vs. Kirtland, state football championship
- Photos: Turkey Dinner Giveaway at New Life Church
- Photos: Festival of Trees and Trains in Ashland
- Photos: Holiday tree decorating at HMA
- Photos: A.D. Lewis Center Thanksgiving dinner giveaway
- Photos: Santa Claus at the Huntington Mall
- Photos: Winter Wonderland of Lights
- Photos: Election Day