LINDA ADKINS CHILDERS, of Ocala, Fla., died May 8, 2021, in Riverview, Fla. The daughter of Woodrow Adkins and Dessel Johnson Adkins, both of Guyandotte, Huntington, W.Va., was born in Huntington, W.Va., July 1, 1947. A memorial service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, June 12, 2021, at White Chapel Memorial Gardens, Barboursville, W.Va. She was a graduate of Huntington East High School and Marshall University. Linda was a teacher at Huntington Christian Academy, director of volunteers at Cabell Huntington Hospital and taught Sunday School at Montgomery Baptist Church in Montgomery, W.Va. Throughout her life, education and volunteerism were important to Linda, and when she moved to Ocala, she volunteered to teach English as a second language (ESL) at College Road Baptist Church. Linda enjoyed traveling, and no matter where she went, she never met a stranger. She cherished visiting with the families of her daughter and son. She often could be found participating in social activities in her community, Oak Bend, which was nestled in Central Florida’s horse country. Survivors include her husband, Lewis Childers of Ocala; a son and daughter-in-law, Bill Turner (Ellen Ramos) of Apollo Beach, Fla.; a daughter, Kerin Turner of Riverview, Fla.; and two grandsons, Christian Turner of Apollo Beach and Alex Hutchinson of Riverview. Serenity Meadows Funeral Home in Riverview, Fla., is in charge of arrangements.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at email@example.com. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- ANDREA LYNN ROY
- Ona man to appear in episode of ‘Forged in Fire’ on History Channel
- Cabell Commission approves litigation resolutions involving Robert Newlon Airport
- Mary Donnan, wife of former Herd football coach, dies
- McCallister brothers face new indictment in shooting of man
- Brumfields combine for 875 baseball victories
- Chuck Landon: Give O'Malley a chance at MU
- Drug court returns to in-person graduations with joyous celebration
- Changes to social service agencies in WV aim to improve child welfare system
- Time Saver Auto Title & Notary permanently closes all locations
- Photos: Drag Me to Brunch Picnic Edition
- Photos: Five graduate from Cabell County Drug Court
- Photos: The Addams Family the Musical at Ritter Park
- Photos: Art in the Park
- Photos: 14th Street West Arts Fest
- Photos: Old Central City Days returns for 30th anniversary
- Photos: Final round of the Bettinardi Classic
- Photos: C-K community celebrates the life of Carl K. Ward
- Photos: Tri State Street Rods annual car show
- Photos: Chalk the Lot at the Ashland Town Center