PHYLLIS HOPE BARR CYRUS, age 82, of Knoxville, Tenn., since 2017, formerly of Huntington, West Virginia, died Saturday evening, March 13, 2021, at Parkwest Medical Center. She was preceded in death by her parents, George and Thelma Cook Barr, and husband, Theron “Jerry” Cyrus Sr.; brother, George Barr Jr.; sister, Sheila Williams (Jack); and sister-in-law, Carol Topping Barr. She was a longtime member of Jackson Avenue Church of God Holiness. Phyllis is survived by her son and daughter-in-law, Theron “Jerry” and Carolyn Cyrus; daughter and son-in-law, Cherri and Jerry Porter; grandchildren, Kyle Porter, Jacob Cyrus, Clorissa Porter and Caitlyn Cyrus; brothers and sisters-in-law, Drs. Peter and Betsy Barr and Jeff and Kathy Barr Sr.; sister, Candace Barr; and sister-in-law, Julia Barr. She also leaves behind many nephews, nieces, great-nephews and -nieces and great-great-nephews and -nieces; and a multitude of other family members and friends. The family will receive friends from noon to 1 p.m. prior to the celebration of Phyllis’ life at 1 p.m. Saturday, April 10, 2021, at Jackson Avenue Church of God Holiness, 1301 Jackson Avenue, Huntington, WV 25704. In lieu of flowers, please contact the family to donate toward Phyllis’ medical expenses. Online condolences may be sent to www.rosefuneraltn.com. Arrangements provided by Rose Funeral and Cremation-Mann.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
Search Past Obituaries
Submit An Obituary
We accept obituaries only from the funeral home in charge. For information on submitting an obituary, please contact The Herald-Dispatch by phone at 304-526-2793 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Obituaries for The Herald-Dispatch must be received by 2 p.m. to appear in the next day’s publication. Obituaries for the Wayne County News, which publishes on Wednesday, must be received by noon Tuesday.
Click Today's Obituaries to view all of the listings.
- Huntington woman accused of sexually abusing, beating 4-year-old
- Child development services employee accused of stealing more than $4.7 million in federal funds
- W.Va. House unanimous in rejection of governor’s plan to cut state income tax
- Man convicted of incest accused of violating probation again, back in jail
- Jim's Steak and Spaghetti announces modified Strawberry Pie Week
- RACHEL KATHRYN TURNER
- Police roundup: Huntington woman caught with gun at airport
- Coffee, baked goods now available at Wayne business
- Capital High student shot, killed on Charleston's West Side
- Baylor's NCAA title 'exhilarating' for former local prep star Loveday
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. George Washington, girls basketball
- Photos: Cabell Midland vs. Huntington, boys basketball
- Photos: Flowers bloom around Huntington
- Photos: Huntington vs. George Washington, boys basketball
- Photos: Prince Philip, Britain’s longest serving consort, through the years
- Photos: St. Joe vs. Mingo Central, girls basketball
- Photos: High school baseball, Fairland vs. South Point
- Photos: Girl Scouts conduct cookie sale for 'Health Care Heroes'
- Photos: Easter service in Kenova Town Square
- Photos: Fairland vs. Chesapeake, high school baseball