Editor's note: This is the 104th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON - From the mid-1960s to the mid-1970s, Huntington had three BBF restaurants.
The BBF fast-food chain was headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, and owners Roy Tuggle and Milton O. Lustnauer opened its first restaurant there in 1961. The letters BBF in the chain's name originally stood for Burger Boy Food-O-Rama.
Eventually the chain operated 48 BBF restaurants in Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia, including three Huntington locations at 3211 Washington Blvd., 2930 Auburn Rd. and 1302 4th Ave. There was also a BBF in Ashland on Winchester Avenue at the foot of the Ben Williamson Bridge.
In 1971, Borden Inc. purchased the chain and the BBF name officially was changed to Borden's Better Foods, but most people generally used the name Borden Burger when they referred to the restaurants. Borden went on to invest a great deal of effort and money in the chain, but ultimately found it couldn't successfully compete with McDonald's and Burger King.
The dairy company's years of advertising had made Elsie the cow one of the best-known corporate symbols in American business. And it's been suggested that many people who had grown up loving Elsie were turned off by the thought of maybe having her in their lunch-time burger.
Whatever the reason or reasons for the chain's lack of success, Borden finally pulled the plug and shut it down in the mid-1970s.
The Huntington building that housed the 4th Avenue BBF, located across the avenue from the Greyhound bus station, is still standing, although much altered from its original appearance. Today, it's used as a medical office.