Editor's note: This is the 46th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON -- It's not just that many once-familiar Huntington buildings have vanished over the years, many of the sounds of the city have also disappeared. One such sound: the rhythmic "clip-clop" of horses' hooves, the squeak of wagon wheels and the calls of "whoa" and "giddy-up" as the milkman made his appointed rounds.
For decades, the Guyan Creamery Co. delivered milk and cream to thousands of customers in neighborhoods throughout the community. It was only near the end of its years of operation that the diary put its horses out to pasture and replaced them with a fleet of delivery trucks.
Burt L. Wilson was the president of Guyan Creamery, president of the Huntington Land Co. and vice president of the Twentieth Street Bank. He came to Huntington from his native Roane County in 1919. Five years after coming to Huntington, he became associated with the Guyan Creamery. In 1932, Wilson, T.W. Payton and R.A. Crawford officially incorporated the creamery. Wilson died in 1951.
In addition to its milk plant at 519 Bridge Street in Guyandotte, the company also operated a popular dairy bar and restaurant for a number of years. In 1957, Huntington's Spring Hill Dairy became a wholly owned subsidiary of Guyan Creamery and subsequently the operations of the two companies were gradually consolidated.
In 1960, Huntington's Guyan Creamery and the Valley Bell Dairy of Charleston merged into a combined company, headquartered in Charleston. Initially, the Huntington dairy continued in operation under the Valley Bell name but ultimately was closed.
Guyan Creamery's former building on Bridge Street is still standing and has housed a variety of different businesses over the years.
To read more articles from this series, go to www.herald-dispatch.com. Click on "News," then "Lost Huntington" series.