Editor's note: This is the 95th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON - Huntington High School, built on 8th Street on the city's South Side in 1916, served the community well for many years. But by the 1930s, it was clear that a growing city had more youngsters than could be accommodated at one high school.
Soon pupils at the badly overcrowded Huntington High were attending school in shifts, with half the student body going to classes in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. Planning for a new school began and the result was Huntington East High, built at 5th Avenue and 29th Street in 1939.
For more than a half century, from 1939 to 1996, the Huntington High "Pony Express" and the Huntington East "Highlanders" were cross-town rivals in many aspects of student life but especially on the football field.
In 1996, the two schools were consolidated, a move prompted by a need for modern up-to-date facilities. After the consolidation, the Cabell County Board of Education moved its offices to the former Huntington East. (The former Huntington High became a multi-use community center.)
The Huntington Trades School was also built in 1939, just west of Huntington East building.
The vocational education program in Cabell County began in 1929 with two classes in automobile mechanics at Huntington High. Two years later, the program moved to a location at 8th Street and 8th Avenue. In 1933, the program was moved again, this time to a building at 8th Avenue and 6th Street.
With construction of the Trades School, courses were offered in the construction, electrical and metal trades, as well as auto mechanics. The school's course offerings were expanded a number of times over the years until 1982, when the new Cabell County Career Technology Center was constructed on Norway Avenue.
To read more articles from this series, go to www.herald-dispatch.com. Click on "News," then "Lost Huntington" series.