Editor's note: This is the 135th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington scenes.
HUNTINGTON - Organized in 1945, the Huntington Trust and Savings Bank originally was located at 419 9th St. The banking firm's name can still be seen carved on the building there. The firm's original capital was $250,000. By the 1980s, its assets would grow to more than $85 million.
In 1963, Huntington Trust President A. Grant Beckett announced that the firm would erect a modern bank building on the northwest corner of 4th Avenue and 11th Street.
To do so, it purchased the former State Theater and the Loop Building. The bank bought the properties from Jack S. Hyman, representing the Hyman Family Trust, owner of the State Theater, and T.J.S. Caldwell, vice president of the First Huntington National Bank, acting for the Rufus Switzer Estate, which owned the Loop Building.
Robert L. Brown was the architect and C.H. Jimison & Sons the general contractor for the two-story banking structure, which featured a striking "curtain-wall construction" of precast concrete slabs.
Mayor J.B. Meek cut the ribbon opening the new building on Aug. 16, 1965 - after the Huntington Police Department supervised the moving of $500,000 in cash from the bank's old building.
In 1972, President William G. Powers announced the bank had purchased the property immediately west of its building and would demolish it to make way for a $350,000 addition.
In 1984, Huntington Trust merged with the much-larger First Huntington National Bank and the 4th Avenue building was placed up for sale. It sat empty for more than three years before it was acquired by Marshall University. Since 1991, the building has been home to the Robert C, Byrd Institute for Advanced Flexible Manufacturing (RCBI).