Editor's note: This is the 188th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington scenes.
HUNTINGTON - In the early 1900s, many Huntington homes and business places were decorated with colorful tile produced by the King & Pettersen Tile and Marble Co.
The company was a partnership between J. Howard King and Peter M. Pettersen, who had lived in Ashland before moving to Huntington. King was the firm's president, and Pettersen was vice president. Originally, their business was located at 1113 4th Ave.
In 1924, the partners built a showroom/office structure on the front of a house at 539 6th Ave. Built in 1902, the house had been the residence of Joseph E. Martin and his wife, Nina. Martin was the chief train dispatcher for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway in Huntington.
Today, the former King & Pettersen building is one of the most unusual - and surely the most colorful - structures in Huntington. The building has a large show window and two entrances - one to the showroom on the left and one to the upstairs on the right. The show window and both doorways are surrounded by brightly colored tile.
The firm's name is boldly displayed across the front of the building in blue and white terracotta enameled tiles.
In the early 1940s, King & Pettersen moved out, and D.D. Carney moved his popular candy company from Walnut Street to the former tile showroom. In the mid-1960s Carney retired, and Town & Country Interiors took over the building. In 1978, the building became home to The Salon Farouche, a hair care shop, but the sign across the front of the building still displays the King & Pettersen name.
Do you enjoy the "Lost Huntington" series?
"Lost Huntington: Volume 1" is a hardcover, full-color book of some of the city's lost landmarks. The book is likely to be of interest to anyone who enjoys history and loves Huntington.
Books are $29.95 plus tax, shipping and handling. To order, visit media.herald-dispatch.com/ecom/ or call 304-526-2720.