Editor's note: This is the 150th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington scenes.
HUNTINGTON - The Le John Manufacturing Co. was established in 1946 by Sam S. Politano, a 1935 graduate of Marshall College.
The 1947 edition of the Huntington City Directory listed Politano as the company's president, Herbert T. Caldwell and G. Carlton Edwards as vice presidents, and Wells Gayor as secretary-treasurer.
The Le John plant, a large brick structure, was located at 111 22nd St., in the heart of what was then a busy East Huntington manufacturing district.
The company made a number of electrical products, including hair dryers and hassock-style heaters, but was best known for its small, tabletop electric fans for home and industry. Many Le John fans are still in use today, and they often turn up for sale in antique shops or on eBay.
Le John also manufactured items of electrical equipment for the armed forces and the Post Office Department.
In fiscal 1957, the company recorded $1.25 million in sales. In December of that year it was purchased by Dumont-Airplane and Marine Instruments of Clearfield, Pennsylvania, which manufactured various types of capacitors as well as electrical equipment for the government.
In 1958, the Huntington plant was closed, its equipment moved to Clearfield, and Le John Manufacturing declared bankrupt.
The long-vacant Le John building is still standing.
Do you enjoy the "Lost Huntington" series?
"Lost Huntington: Volume 1" is a hardcover, full-color book of some of the city's lost landmarks. The book is likely to be of interest to anyone who enjoys history and loves Huntington.
Books are $29.95 plus tax, shipping and handling. To order, visit media.herald-dispatch.com/ecom/ or call 304-526-2720.