Editor's note: This is the 91st in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON - In 1896, teacher Mabel Brown assembled at Marshall College a fourth-grade group of five boys and five girls. This was the modest beginning of the Marshall Lab School. For more than 70 years, the Lab School would be an integral part of Marshall's teacher training program.
Over the years, the school steadily grew in size and scope, with new grades and courses added. By 1908, all elementary grades were included. Later, junior high grades were added. In 1924, three two-room frame buildings were built for the school and later a five-room building was erected.
But the Lab School truly came into its own in 1938 when it moved into a handsome $200,000 brick building built by the federal Works Program Administration (WPA) and named for famed Confederate General Albert Gallatin Jenkins. The WPA, a New Deal program created to put unemployed Americans back to work during the Great Depression, built three buildings at Marshall - two dormitories (Hodges Hall and Laidley Hall) and Jenkins Hall.
The first floor of the two-story building had 10 classrooms used for a kindergarten and the six elementary grades. The second floor housed a six-year high school (grades 7 through 12). The building included a health clinic, an 80-seat music room and a library. The adjacent frame buildings erected in the 1920s became an Annex used for laboratories and physical education classes.
In 1970, as costs increased and student teaching moved from the campus to the public schools, Marshall elected to close the Lab School. Jenkins Hall was then remodeled to house classrooms and offices for the College of Education. The Lab School's old Annex was demolished.
To read more articles from this series, go to www.herald-dispatch.com. Click on "News," then "Lost Huntington" series.