Editor's note: This is the 164th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington scenes.
HUNTINGTON - The M.D. Angel Co. - generally known as Angel's - was long a favorite with downtown Huntington shoppers. The store was located at 918 4th Ave. in a building that originally was built in 1910 to house the Johnson Mortuary.
In 1929, Max D. Angel purchased the building and opened a men's clothing store. The building's original facade was plain red brick, but Angel wanted something different. He had the storefront decorated with black Belgian marble and placed elaborately rendered color coats of arms beneath each window.
Angel's prospered over the years, eventually adding boys and women's clothing to its offerings. In 1961, The Union Company, a Columbus, Ohio, department store, purchased it as a branch location.
In an interview, Don Levy, the grandson of store founder S. M. Levy, explained that the store was called "The Union" because it was started in Chicago during the Civil War and "the Union was North and was on everyone's tongue at the time." The Union opened in Columbus in 1894. At one time it operated six stores in central Ohio, and then began adding stores elsewhere, including Huntington.
The Union closed its Huntington store in 1963, saying it wanted to concentrate on its central Ohio locations. In the subsequent years the 4th Avenue building saw only a series of short-term tenants and was much altered from its original appearance.
In 2014, Huntington developer Shane Radcliff purchased the former Angel's building, refurbishing its first floor retail space, converting the upper floors into apartments - and restoring the distinctive facade that M.D. Angel installed on his clothing store.
Do you enjoy the "Lost Huntington" series?
"Lost Huntington: Volume 1" is a hardcover, full-color book of some of the city's lost landmarks. The book is likely to be of interest to anyone who enjoys history and loves Huntington.
Books are $29.95 plus tax, shipping and handling. To order, visit media.herald-dispatch.com/ecom/ or call 304-526-2720.