2012 0105 photohistory 01

Opened in 1926, the old Sixth Street Bridge would be Huntington's only Ohio River bridge until 1968. The old two-lane Ohio River span continued to carry traffic until 1994, when it was replaced by the four-lane Robert C. Byrd Bridge. The old City Market is shown (where the Big Sandy Superstore Arena is now located). Across the Ohio River is Chesapeake, Ohio. Date is unknown, but this might be the fall of 1947, according to Jack Dennis.

Editor’s note: This is the 33rd in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.

HUNTINGTON — In 1912, the Huntington Chamber of Commerce published a booklet portraying life in “a home-like, hospitable, progressive, busy, clean, pretty, young city, of about 40,000 people.” While picturing what the city had to offer prospective new businesses or other newcomers, the booklet also cited improvements yet to come.

One such improvement, it promised, would be a market house.

The booklet noted that every morning found farm wagons loaded with produce lined up along 8th Street. “In good weather this arrangement is not unpleasant, but in stormy times it is troublesome to market men and buyers. The city has purchased a strip of ground at the corner of 3rd Avenue and 7th Street, running through to 2nd Avenue, and it is the purpose to build at this point a modern and well appointed market house.”

The city did exactly that and for more than 50 years, the City Market was the epicenter of the fresh food business in Huntington.

Before the coming of chain supermarkets, the Huntington area was home to more than 200 “mom and pop” grocery stores, and a visit to the City Market was the first order of business each morning for either “mom” or “pop.” Housewives looking for the freshest food (and the cheapest prices) would also visit the market. Local farmers brought their produce to the market to sell. Wholesalers trucked in shipments of fruit and vegetables from hundreds of miles away. And, of course, the market was always a great place to catch up on the latest gossip.

When the city drew up plans for its ambitious downtown urban renewal project in the early 1970s, it was decided the City Market ­— along with the beer joints and other ramshackle buildings around it — would have to go.

So the City Market soon fell to the wreckers. A new market built in the 200 block of 7th Avenue was supposed to take its place.

 

But nothing could replace the colorful hustle and bustle of the old City Market.

Tags

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.