Editor's note: This is the 236th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington scenes.
HUNTINGTON — The Frank P. Swan Co. was organized in 1916, with Swan as president and J.C. Kiger as secretary and treasurer. The business, which sold printing and office supplies, moved three times in the next decade, and in 1928 was located on 3rd Avenue.
When Kiger retired, he sold his stock in the business to James Hanly Morgan, Swan's son-in-law, who had been working as a salesman with the firm. With the change in ownership, the business was renamed the Swan-Morgan Co.
The business moved twice more, first to 1010 4th Ave. and finally to 1026 4th Ave., an address that would prove to be its long-time home. Frank Swan died in 1939, and the business eventually was renamed Morgan's Inc. in 1946, with J. Hanly Morgan as president and general manager.
In the 1950s and '60s, Morgan's employed five outside sales people covering 10 counties in West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky, selling office supplies, typewriters, adding machines, duplicating equipment and office furniture.
After graduating from West Virginia University in 1959, James H. Morgan Jr. went to work for the family business as a local outside sales person. Ultimately, he would become the company's president. In 1980, Morgan's bought a competitor, Stationer's Inc., located at 1945 5th Ave.
The Morgan's building on 4th Avenue was sold in 1983. It's still standing, although currently vacant.
Do you enjoy the "Lost Huntington" series?
"Lost Huntington: Volume 1" is a hardcover, full-color book of some of the city's lost landmarks. The book is likely to be of interest to anyone who enjoys history and loves Huntington.
Books are $29.95 plus tax, shipping and handling. To order, visit media.herald-dispatch.com/ecom/ or call 304-526-2720.