Editor's note: This is the 110th in a series of articles recalling vanished Huntington landmarks.
HUNTINGTON - In 1953, Greyhound Lines opened a new bus terminal at 4th Avenue and 13th Street, a handsome Art Deco design widely used by the bus line in cities across the nation.
Today the former Greyhound terminal is owned and operated by the Tri-State Transit Authority (TTA), with Greyhound using it as a tenant. The TTA needed to move its busiest downtown bus stop to an off-street facility and Greyhound, operating only a fraction of the busy schedule it once offered in West Virginia, no longer needed such a large terminal. "It was a perfect marriage for both of us," Vicki Shaffer, then TTA's general manager, said of the terminal's 1994 purchase.
Greyhound service in the Huntington area can be traced back to the 1920s, when Arthur M. Hill merged two small regional bus lines into what he first called the Midland Trail Transit Co. and later the Blue and Gray Transit Co. In 1931, it became part of the Greyhound system.
Hill's original Huntington terminal was on 9th Street between 2nd and 3rd avenues. Next, the terminal moved to the Hines Building in the 900 block of 5th Avenue. Later, the old Lyric Theater in the 800 block of 4th Avenue was remodeled as a terminal. Still later both Greyhound and its rival, Continental Trailways, operated out of Huntington's old Baltimore & Ohio Railroad passenger station, which today is home to the Cabell-Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau.
When Greyhound built its new terminal, Trailways moved to a former garage just one block away, at 4th Avenue and 12th Street. Trailways shut its doors there in 1974. Today, the vastly remodeled building houses a sporting goods store.
Trailways next briefly used the Greyhound terminal, then a building at 5th Avenue and 28th Street before discontinuing its Huntington service in 1984.