The interim president, Don Dedmon — who went on to be very successful at another university — within 48 hours, he made the football decision to honor the 75 people that were killed in the crash. … I think about the crash victims — the magnitude of that crash. There were four doctors and their wives and another doctor, a state senator. As I recall, there was a city councilman — key leaders in the community — and then you had the dean of admissions, the director of athletics and the radio personnel, trainers, managers, (players) and coaches. Seventy children without one parent, 18 without two parents, so it took a wide swath through the Huntington community, the state, the university and the football program. The magnitude of that, I didn’t realize. I thought I was just going down to rebuild a football team.
Welcome to the discussion.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.
1971 Game Stories and Photos
- The Long Road Back: Marshall Bows, 29-6: Morehead Wins '71 Opener (Sept. 18, 1971)
- Lengyel Unbowed; Hallum Pleased (Sept. 19, 1971)
- Young Herd Does It: MU 15, Xavier 13: Scores Touchdown On Final Play (Sept. 25, 1971)
- MU Cool Like Lengyel (Sept. 26, 1971)
- Redskins Massacre Herd, 66-6 (Oct. 3, 1971)
- NIU Downs Marshall, 37-18 (Oct. 9, 1971)
- Young Herd Runs Out Of Miracles, 13-0 (Oct. 16, 1971)
- Western Wallops Young Herd, 37-0: Scores 31 In Last Half (Oct. 23, 1971)
- Young Herd Stuns Bowling Green, 12-10 (Oct. 30, 1971)
- Kent Blanks Sputtering Herd, 21-0 (Nov. 6, 1971)
- Rockets Close Fast, Rip MU, 43-0 (Nov. 13, 1971)
- Error-Plagued Herd Bows To OU (Nov. 20, 1971)
- MU Coach Looks To The Future; Lengyel: We'll Be Better (Nov. 20, 1971)
- Gallery: Young Thundering Herd practices, August-September 1971
- Gallery: Marshall vs. Morehead, Sept. 18, 1971
- Gallery: Marshall's Young Thundering Herd victory against Xavier, Sept. 25, 1971
- Gallery: Young Thundering Herd practice, Aug. 24, 1971
- Video: Coach Lengyel talks about Spring Hill Cemetery (12/22/2006)
- Video: Film from the Young Herd 1971
- Video: Coach Andy Nameth on Young Herd games (11/21/2006)
- Video: Jack Lengyel recalls his real-life relationships (12/22/2006)
- Video: Jack Lengyel on why he took the 1971 coaching job (12/22/2006)
- Video: Jack Lengyel on Dedmon's lasting role (12/22/2006)
- Video: Coach Andy Nameth on coming to Huntington (11/21/2006)
- Video: Coach Andy Nameth on "We Are Marshall" (11/21/2006)