- Marshall head coach Charles Huff and Old Dominion coach Ricky Rahne were on staff together at Penn State from 2014-17.
- The Herd has three losses this season by a total of 11 points.
- Marshall is tied for the most turnovers in FBS with 15 on the season. They are tied with Fresno State.
- Despite averaging three turnovers per contest, Marshall is still in the top-20 in scoring at 37.8 points per game, which is second in C-USA.
- Marshall quarterback Grant Wells is sixth in FBS in passing yards per game with 340.8. However, he has just six touchdown passes on the year.
- Herd running back Rasheen Ali leads the nation in scoring with 13 touchdowns on the season.
- The Marshall defense did not allow a score in the second half of last week’s loss at Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders’ lone score — the difference-maker — came on a 90-yard fumble return.
- Old Dominion made its return to the field in 2021 after being one of few universities to voluntarily sit out the 2020 season due to COVID-19.
- ODU quarterback D.J. Mack has faced Marshall before. Mack saw action in the 2019 Gasparilla Bowl against the Herd while with UCF.
- The Monarchs are tied for the lead in FBS in blocked kicks with four. All of ODU’s blocks have been punts, including three in the last two weeks.
- In each of the last two games, ODU has fallen behind by big deficits, only to rally back. Against Buffalo, the Monarchs trailed by 27 before a one-point loss. Last week against UTEP, ODU took a lead after trailing 17-0 in the first half.
- ODU tight end Zack Kuntz is fourth in FBS among tight ends with 24.
- The Monarchs have had 18 first-time starters take the field in the first five games of 2021.
- ODU’s Steven Williams has seen time at three different positions in his career. Williams started as a quarterback, moved to wide receiver and then transitioned to defense as a linebacke