WAYNE - After a two-month-long homicide investigation into the death of Kenneth Edward Davis ended in the arrest of two Wayne County men last year, Patrick Nelson Cyrus, 72, and Kevin Douglas Cyrus, 44, of Prichard, have both entered plea deals in the case.

Patrick Cyrus was charged with second-degree murder, while his son was charged with being an accessory after the fact of murder.

Their initial arrests came as a result of a nearly two-month-long investigation into the death of Davis, 43, also from Prichard, which occurred Feb. 16, 2018.

Patrick Cyrus, 72, entered a Kennedy plea Wednesday and was immediately sentenced to 10 years in prison by Circuit Judge James H. Young Jr. A Kennedy plea indicates Cyrus accepts the punishment for the crime; however, he did not admit guilt. Cyrus, who was remanded to the Division of Corrections, must serve the entire sentence of 10 years incarcerated.

His son, Kevin Cyrus, 44, was charged with being an accessory after the fact of murder. In May 2018, Kevin Cyrus pleaded guilty to burglary, defined as breaking and entering with the intent to commit a crime. He entered a plea deal on May 25, 2018, and was immediately sentenced to one to 15 years in prison, which he is serving at Western Regional Jail.

As written in the plea, Kevin Cyrus agreed to testify at the trial should the trial ever appear in court.

According to a criminal complaint filed in Wayne County Magistrate Court last year, after officers received information that the Cyruses might have been involved, the elder Cyrus agreed to speak with Wayne County deputies and confessed to the crime.

Davis took a pressure washer from the man a couple months prior to his death, police were told, and Cyrus and his son allegedly told Davis he had 48 hours to return the pressure washer and he complied.

After it had been returned, the Cyruses had been drinking in their garage. When the topic of the pressure washer came up, the deputy was told, the two became angry while discussing it and "decided to put a scare into Davis."

Patrick Cyrus put on a hunting facemask and Kevin Cyrus put on a clown mask before traveling to Davis's home at about 2:30 a.m. Feb. 16, 2018.

Davis came to the door, but appeared scared and tried to shut it. The pair forced themselves into the home and Kevin Cyrus tackled Davis so his father could strike the man.

Patrick Cyrus described the striking instrument as a table leg with lead at the end of it.

According to deputies, Patrick Cyrus said he meant to hit Davis on the arm or shoulder and wanted to bruise him. However, he instead struck him in the head before fleeing from the home.

The table leg was tossed into the Big Sandy River the next morning by Kevin Cyrus and was never recovered.

Herald-Dispatch reporter Courtney Hessler contributed to this story.


Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.